THE WINE GUILD OF THE UNITED KINGDOM is pleased to offer an Introductory One Day Course in wine appreciation and tasting, alongside basic wine service, designed primarily for young front of house staff in the hospitality industry in the United Kingdom.
The course will:
- Introduce the concepts behind wine and wine-making
- Explain the different types of wine, how they are made and their key features
- Tutor good tasting technique and how to identify acidity, sweetness, tannins and flavours
- Identify main producing regions
- Explain impact of ‘New World’ on modern wine production
- Explain how to ‘read’ wine labels
- Give guidance on good storage, handling and service of wine
- Explain temperatures for service of wine
- Review handling and care of glassware and wine service equipment
- Consider contents of wine lists and how these may differ by venue
- Introduce basic elements of wine and food matching
- Address faults in wines and ‘problems’ which are not faults
- Raise awareness of the law and regulation of wine sales
The course will include practical tasting sessions looking at white, red and rosé still wines, sparkling wine and touching on sweet and fortified wines, as well as equipment typically used for wine service.
The focus of the course is on encouraging participants to ask questions and understand not just what happens but why, making it easier to gain understanding and insights which will encourage further exploration of wine and improvement of wine service.
The tutors for this course are drawn from experts on the Wine Guild’s panel, which includes Masters of Wine, Master Sommeliers, and people with years of experience of tutoring wine appreciation and as leaders in the hospitality industry and front of house service.
Course cost: £200 per person. Or £110* for those aged 25 or under
*Thanks to generous support from The Lord Forte Foundation, the Wine Guild is pleased to offer bursaries of £90 per participant for staff in the hospitality industry in the age range 18-25.
Friday 9th October 2015 Hilton London Syon Park
(further venues to be advised shortly)
NB : All courses start with registration at 09:30. Course timing 10am to approximately 5pm. Full joining details will be advised on receipt of payment)
Please Contact the Wine Guild of the United Kingdom directly:
Pauline Jackson, Secretary to Wine Guild: email@example.com
The Wine Guild would also be pleased to discuss running courses at other venues particularly outside London, and is seeking hospitality partners who in return for providing the venue and wines from their own list can send up to ten participants (under 25) on the course without charge.