We are passionate about continually raising standards of service to the consumer.
We do this by boosting the status and awareness of food and beverage service as a viable, exciting and rewarding career choice; providing education on the commercial impact of the front-of-house experience; and offering the right support, advice, inspiration and training to anyone following, or considering, a career as a sommelier, wine waiter, waiter, bar manager or restaurant manager.
Our bespoke training packages & accredited training courses, competitions, and events help front-of-house food and beverage service professionals grow in knowledge, skills and confidence, and ultimately deliver consistent service excellence.
Knowledge, skill and motivation are crucial for businesses to succeed and for individuals to develop in their career. We are renowned for our expertise, bespoke training packages, and accredited training courses that give a cost-effective way to ensure highly-effective front-of-house food and beverage service competency from basic through to more advanced level.
We design all of our training products in collaboration with sector experts and offer a credible, effective and flexible way to up-skill and become more commercial in all areas of front-of-house food and beverage service. Available to run in-house, externally, or in some cases online, we create inspiring, relevant and measurable training solutions for the time and resource-pressured individual, manager and business owner. Our courses include:
- Masterclasses – short tutorials tackling specific front-of-house skills
- Product tutorials – a tasting and briefing on particular vintages, regions or varietals
- Performance Improvement Programmes – two-day courses for supervisors and managers on improving profit through customer service
- Service! Training packs – available for use in-house by individuals or trainers, these focus on core elements of front-of-house food and beverage service.
- Licence to Work® – our new entrant courses designed to equip new recruits with a thorough knowledge of service and customer skills.
Our aim is to inspire. We run high-profile competitions and events that give front-of-house food and beverage service professionals the opportunity to develop, showcase and celebrate their skills, talents and achievements in front of well-known industry peers. Our judging panels feature the biggest names in the industry and participation is a great way to gain deserved recognition and enhance career prospects.
Competitors, attendees and sponsors also benefit from first-rate networking with like-minded colleagues and senior professionals from across the sector and wider industry – fantastic for raising profiles, sharing ideas and growing knowledge. Key events include:
- UK Restaurant Manager of the Year
- UK Sommelier of the Year
- AFWS Annual Awards
- Rising Stars in Hospitality Food & Beverage Challenge
As well as being a valuable source of information, support and advice, we offer our members tangible benefits to help develop skills, enhance careers, and boost standards and business, including:
- Preferential rates on training courses and packages
- Networking opportunities at industry dinners and social events, with discounted ticket rates
- Opportunity to advertise positions on our website
- Access to industry mentors
- Discounted subscriptions to key industry titles
Membership packages are tailored to suit the varying needs of individuals and businesses, and give them the right support at the right time. Take a look at our full package details and options or on +44 (0) 1276 684 449
Association de la Sommellerie Internationale
The Academy is the UK representative (agent) for the Association which is the worldwide accrediting body for Sommeliers.